What a treat and a way to impress your company! This Apple Tart is rich and sweet from the apples sautéed with the seeds from a vanilla bean and topped with apples glazed with orange marmalade and orange liqueur. No rolling pin needed! You can press the dough around the pan with your fingers. Add to that, it freezes perfectly. Make the Apple Tart when you have the time. Pop it in the freezer and you have it ready when you have company or decide to treat yourself. Enjoy
Prep time: 45 minutes
By August 31, 2016Published:
- 9 inch Tart (10-12 Servings)
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 3/4 cup confectioner's sugar
- 1/2 pound non dairy margarine
- 2 large egg yolks save whites for meringues
- 3 tablespoons water
- 8 large Golden Delicious apples
- 1 6 inch fresh Vanilla bean
- 1/2 cup tart orange marmalade
- 2 tablespoons orange liqueur
- 3 ounces toasted sliced almonds optional
- 1 9 inch flan ring or quiche pan with removable bottom
- 1 cookie sheet lined with baking parchment
- 1 electric food processor steel knife, thin slicer
- 1 large skillet
- 1 fine sieve
- 1 long spatula
- 1 pastry brush
- Place flan ring on top of cookie sheet. (Skip this step if you are using a quiche pan.)
- Put flour and 1/2 cup sugar in bowl of processor. Pulse a few seconds. Cut 1/4 pound of margarine into tablespoons and add them to the bowl. Pulse again until the mixture resembles crumbs. Beat yolks with water and pour through the feeding tube while the processor is running. Turn off processor when a ball of dough has formed. It will be quite soft. Scrape all the dough into the center of the flan ring (or quiche pan). Press the dough around the ring and up the sides until you have created a tart shell. Chill for at least one hour. Prepare apples while crust is chilling.
- Peel, quarter and core three apples. Slice them paper thin by hand or by using the thin slicer in the processor. Melt the remaining 1/4 pound of margarine in skillet. Slice the Vanilla bean in half the long way-leaving the spine intact. Add the split bean to the melted margarine. Press on the bean to release all the seeds. The aroma will be amazing! Add sliced apples and stir constantly until apples have browned and caramelized. Remove Vanilla bean.
- Remove tart shell from the fridge. Spread the sautéed apples in an even layer on the bottom of tart shell. Preheat oven to: 400°F.
- Peel, quarter, core and slice remaining five apples thinly. I prefer doing this step by hand; but you can use the processor . The taste will be the same. I just prefer the look of the hand sliced apples. Arrange sliced apples in consecutive circles on top of the sautéed apples. Keep creating layers of apples until you've used them all.
- Sift 1/4 cup confectioner's sugar over the top layer of apples. Place tart in center of oven and bake for 45-60 minutes. Watch the tart carefully to be sure the crust doesn't burn. It will darken considerably.
- When Apple Tart has finished baking, remove it from oven and place on cooling rack. Melt marmalade over low heat or in microwave. Stir in orange liqueur. Brush this glaze over the top of the tart while it is still hot. Sprinkle with toasted almonds if desired. To serve: Remove flan ring (or remove Tart from quiche pan) and with a long spatula, slide the tart on to a serving platter. Serve Apple Tart at room temperature.
- To freeze: Let tart cool completely. Slide tart on to a cardboard cake circle or freezer friendly plate. Wrap well with waxed paper and foil and place in freezer.