This recipe is easy, healthy, delicious and can be served at room temperature.
Baked Sliced Tofu With Tomatoes and Basil
By December 18, 2013Published:
- 8 Servings
- 1 hr 5 mins
- 16 Ounces Extra Firm Tofu
- 1 Cup Homemade/Bottled Vinaigrette
- 2 Cups Non-dairy Unflavored Breadcrumbs
- 1 Teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 4 Large Beefsteak Tomatoes
- 1 Bunch Basil
- 1/3 Cup Balsamic Vinegar
- Parchment Paper
- cookie sheet
- Drain tofu. Wrap tofu in paper towel and put on a plate under a brick or two heavy cans for 30 minutes. Unwrap tofu and drain. Cut into eight slices. Arrange tofu slices in a single layer in a dish and pour Italian dressing over them. Marinate slices for 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to: 350 F. Line cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Mix breadcrumbs with pepper. Coat tofu slices with crumbs. Arrange in a single layer on parchment. Bake about 15 minutes or until crumbs look toasted. turn slices over and bake 5-10 minutes longer. Remove from oven and cover lightly with foil.
- While tofu is baking, rinse, core and juice tomatoes. Dice tomatoes and place in mixing bowl. Rinse basil leaves. Chop coarsely and add to tomatoes. Mix two tablespoons olive oil and vinegar. Mix with basil and tomatoes right before serving.
- To serve: Arrange slices attractively on platter. Spoon chopped tomatoes and basil down the center of the baked tofu. Serve hot or at room temperature.