This recipe goes under the heading of comfort food. My adult son had about two cups of it for lunch and asked for more. He was out of luck! The family had gotten there before him and eaten most of it. Zucchini and onions add richness to the rice, while the turmeric brings great flavor and color. Parsley mixed in at the end brightens it all up-both in color and taste.
I served this rice as a side with chicken. You could easily make it a vegetarian main course by adding some sautéed tofu, seitan or vegetarian sausage.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Brown Rice with Zucchini and Onions
By November 7, 2016Published:
- 4-6 Servings
- 1 medium onion peeled, cored and minced
- 1 tablespoon Vegetable Oil
- 2 small zucchini washed, trimmed, and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 1/2 cups brown rice
- 1 3/4 cups water
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh Italian parsley
- dutch oven
- Heat oil in dutch oven over low flame. Add chopped onions. Sauté until onions are translucent. Add zucchini and stir into onions. Add turmeric, salt, pepper, and bay leaves. Stir well for one minute. Add rice. Stir again until all the rice is covered with the vegetables and spices. Pour in water. Stir once and bring to a boil. Cover pot and reduce to a simmer. Simmer about 25 minutes or until all the water has been absorbed. The rice will be soft.
- Taste. Add more salt and pepper if needed. Fluff with a fork. Remove bay leaves. Add chopped parsley and fluff again. Serve hot or at room temperature.