This recipe was handed down from my husband’s family. It counts as a vegetable but tastes like a dessert- perfect with roasted chicken or grilled steak. I recommend using large organic carrots. Yes, you have to peel and chop them but they have much more flavor than the packaged peeled ones-which I confess I have used when I’m in a rush! Either way, this is a delicious and creamy vegetable dish that pleases the most picky eaters.
Prep time (peeling and boiling carrots): 45 minutes
By August 13, 2014Published:
- 8-10 Servings
- 3 pounds fresh carrots peeled and cut into chunks
- 1/2 cup water use water in which carrots were boiled
- 3 tablespoons non-dairy margarine softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 large eggs
- large stock pot
- medium mixing bowl
- electric food processor steel knife inserted
- 8 cup oven to table casserole
- Preheat oven to: 350 F
- Place carrots in stock pot and cover with water. Cover pot.Bring water to a boil and remove cover. Boil carrots about 30 minutes or until they are soft enough to be smashed against the pot with a wooden spoon. Remove 1/2 cup of water from pot and set aside. Drain carrots in a colander.
- Pour carrots into processor. Depending on the size of your processor bowl, you may have to do divide carrots and repeat process twice. Add water and margarine to carrots and process for two minutes. Add remaining ingredients and process until very smooth.
- Spoon carrot mixture into casserole. Smooth over the top. Bake fore 45-60 minutes. The carrot pudding will puff a bit and then deflate. Serve hot.