This recipe was handed down through my husband’s family. It counts as a vegetable but tastes like a dessert. The sweet puréed carrots go perfectly with roasted chicken or grilled steak. I like to use large organic carrots. They have so much more flavor than the pre-peeled baby ones.
Note: I don’t recommend using rainbow carrots for this recipe. The various colors puréed together do not yield an appetizing result!
Prep time (peeling and boiling carrots): 45 minutes
By August 13, 2014Published:
- 8-10 Servings
- 3 pounds fresh organic carrots peeled and cut into chunks
- 1/2 cup water use water in which carrots were boiled
- 3 tablespoons non-dairy margarine softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 large eggs
- large stock pot
- medium mixing bowl
- electric food processor steel knife inserted
- 8 cup oven to table casserole
- Preheat oven to: 350° F
- Place carrots in stock pot and cover with water. Cover pot.Bring water to a boil and remove cover. Boil carrots about 30 minutes or until they are soft enough to be smashed against the pot with a wooden spoon. Remove 1/2 cup of water from pot and set aside. Drain carrots in a colander.
- Pour carrots into processor. Depending on the size of your processor bowl, you may have to do divide carrots and repeat process twice. Add water, 1/2 cup sugar and margarine to carrots and process for two minutes. Add remaining ingredients and process until very smooth. Taste. Add remaining sugar if needed.
- Spoon carrot mixture into casserole. Smooth over the top. Bake fore 45-60 minutes. The carrot pudding will puff a bit and then deflate. Serve hot.