This Carrot Soup is light,smooth,flavorful and best when served chilled. As with any recipe, the result is only as good as the ingredients you use. I use large organic carrots because they have more flavor than the small peeled ones. Even so,some carrots are sweeter than others. Taste the soup after it’s puréed; and then again after it has been chilled for several hours. Add more light brown sugar, orange juice and/or cinnamon according to your taste. Sprinkle with freshly chopped chives before serving.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Carrot Soup with Chives
By May 3, 2015Published:
- 8-10 Servings
- 1 pound organic large fresh carrots peeled and chopped
- 2 large onions peeled, cored and chopped
- 7 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 teaspoon Dried Thyme
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 6 cups water/vegetable broth fresh/boxed broth
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 4 teaspoons fresh chives chopped
- 4 quart soup pot with cover
- electric food processor steel knife inserted
- Pour oil into soup pot. Heat over medium flame. Add carrots and onions and sauté them about 10 minutes or until they soften. Add thyme, nutmeg and sugar. Stir well and sauté five minutes longer. Pour in vegetable broth or water. Bring mixture to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cover. Simmer for 45 minutes or until carrots are soft enough to be mashed with the back of a wooden spoon. Cool slightly.
- Purée soup, two-three cups at a time-depending on the size of your processor. Add orange juice to puréed soup. Stir well and chill several hours or overnight. Taste. Add more juice if you prefer a stronger orange flavor. Serve soup cold with 1/2 teaspoon of chopped chives sprinkle on top of each serving.