There is something so inviting about seeing a table set with bowls filled with a cold brightly colored soup. This Carrot Soup is smooth and velvety. The carrot flavor is enhanced with a touch of orange juice and a sprinkle of fresh chives. Enjoy.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Carrot Soup with Chives
By May 3, 2015Published:
- 8-10 Servings
- 1 pound large fresh carrots peeled and chopped
- 2 large onions peeled, cored and chopped
- 7 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 1/4 teaspoons Dried Thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons light brown sugar
- 6 cups water/vegetable broth fresh/boxed broth
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 4 teaspoons chives fresh/freeze dried
- 4 quart soup pot with cover
- electric food processor steel knife inserted
- Pour oil into soup pot. Heat over medium flame. Add carrots and onions and saute them about 10 minutes or until they soften. Add thyme, nutmeg and sugar. Stir well and saute five minutes longer. Pour in vegetable broth or water. Bring mixture to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cover. Simmer for 45 minutes or until carrots are soft enough to be squooshed with the back of a wooden spoon. Cool slightly.
- Puree soup, two-three cups at a time-depending on the size of your processor. Add orange juice to pureed soup. Stir well and chill several hours or overnight. Taste. Add more juice if you prefer a stronger orange flavor. Serve soup cold with 1/2 teaspoon of chopped chives sprinkle on top of each serving.