I make this recipe once a year! It’s a guilty pleasure. Yes, it’s all fresh vegetables and herbs but it also has butter and heavy cream. You can lighten it up and use oil and milk but really- once a year- enjoy!
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cream of Tomato and Vegetable Soup
By May 17, 2015Published:
- 9 cups without adding broth (8 Servings)
- 6 tablespoons sweet butter
- 2 large ripe beefsteak tomatoes peeled,seeded and chopped
- 1 small onion peeled and chopped
- 1 large carrot peeled and chopped
- 1 large Celery Stalk washed and chopped
- 1 large garlic clove peeled and crushed
- 1 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes with puree
- 3/4 cup tomato juice
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 pound small white mushrooms wiped, trimmed and sliced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- pinch dried oregano
- 2 cups vegetable broth as needed
- electric food processor steel knife inserted
- large skillet with cover
- medium skillet
- 3 quart stock pot
- Melt two tablespoons of butter in large skillet over low heat. Add half the chopped onion and half of the chopped tomatoes to the skillet along with the chopped carrots and celery. Stir well so that all the vegetables are coated with butter. Cook 10 minutes-stirring occasionally; then stir in garlic. Cook two minutes longer. Add can of crushed tomatoes, tomato juice, tomato paste, sugar, pepper and bundle of thyme to this mixture. Stir well. Cover skillet and cook over low heat for 90 minutes. Stir occasionally, making sure to bring spoon down to the bottom of the pan so that nothing burns.
- While above mixture is cooking, melt four tablespoons butter in smaller skillet over low heat. Add remaining chopped onion and tomatoes along with the sliced mushrooms, oregano and basil. Saute until vegetable are tender. Remove from heat.
- When the 90 minutes are over, remove the cover from the skillet and allow the mixture to cool off. Puree it two cups at a time in the processor. Pour into stockpot. Add sauteed mushroom mixture and cream. Stir well. Taste. Add vegetable broth if you prefer the soup to be thinner. Serve hot!