The secret to having Cucumber Salad taste like it just came from the garden is in the salting. Draining the excess water from the cucumbers before you marinate them helps the cucumbers absorb the flavor of the sugar and vinegar. Loads of fresh dill puts it over the top!
HInt: Add some very thinly sliced carrots to the salad for extra color and crunch.
Prep time: 15 minutes + 120 minutes for salting
By August 5, 2016Published:
- 8 Servings
- 4 large cucumbers peeled, seeded and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons table salt
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 large organic carrots peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 small bunch of fresh dill stems removed and snipped
- 1 large mixing bowl
- waxed paper
- 2 heavy cans
- Place cucumbers in mixing bowl. Sprinkle with salt and toss gently. Cover with waxed paper and place two heavy cans on top of paper to weight it down. Let cucumbers stand at room temperature for two hours. A lot of liquid will gather. Drain cucumbers in colander. Rinse them off gently with water to remove all the salt and drain again. Pat cucumbers dry and place them in salad bowl. Add carrot slices if desired.
- Mix vinegar, sugar and pepper in a small bowl. Pour over drained cucumbers. Cover and refrigerate for at least four hours or overnight. Sprinkle with fresh dill. Spoon salad into a serving dish with a slotted spoon. Reserve the liquid for any leftovers. Enjoy