These vegetables tossed together and glazed could almost be dessert!
Glazed Brussel Sprouts, Carrots and Chestnuts
By March 4, 2016Published:
- 16 Servings
- 60 small brussel sprouts
- 1 pound baby carrots
- 9 ounces peeled packaged chestnuts
- 4 ounces non-dairy margarine or coconut oil
- 1/2 cup Light Brown Sugar
- 1/2 cup apple juice
- 1 large skillet with cover
- 1 large mixing bowl
- For large brussel sprouts: peel back all the dark leaves until you see the pale green ones. Trim the stems and cut an X in each one. Soak in salted water for 30 minutes and drain.
For baby brussel sprouts: trim the stems and soak for 30 minutes in salted water and drain.
- Fill skillet with one inch of water. Bring to a boil. Add the brussel sprouts. Reduce to a simmer. Cover skillet and steam about 4 minutes for baby sprouts, eight minutes for larger ones. Uncover the skillet after 2-3 minutes and check the color of the sprouts. ou want them to be bright green and just crisp tender. Drain sprouts and cover them with ice to stop the cooking process. Set aside.
- Refill skillet with one inch of water and bring to a boil. Add carrots, reduce to a simmer and cover skillet. Steam carrots for five minutes and drain. Add to brussel sprouts.
- Add coconut oil to skillet (or melt margarine in skillet). Add light brown sugar and stir until completely melted. Add brussel sprouts, carrots and chestnuts. Stir until vegetables are cover with the melted sugar. Pour in apple juice and simmer until almost all the liquid has evaporated and vegetables are glazed. Serve hot.