Tofu is an amazing vegetarian protein. It literally absorbs any marinade you soak it in. It also absorbs the flavors of any recipe you add it to. The trick is to press the moisture out of the tofu and give it enough time to soak up the flavors of the recipe you’re using. In this recipe I marinate the tofu in Balsamic Vinaigrette; but you can choose any marinade you prefer.
Prep time: 60 minutes plus overnight
By March 4, 2018Published:
- 9 slices
- 1 14 ounce Container of Extra Firm Tofu
- 1 cup balsamic vinaigrette
- vegetable spray
- stove top grill pan
- metal spatula/silicon tipped tongs
- Unwrap tofu and drain it. Place tofu on a flat surface and cover it with waxed paper. Take a heavy brick or can and place it on top of the waxed paper. After about 15 minutes, pour off the gathered liquid. Do this another two times.
- Slice tofu into about 9 1/4 inch slices. Place them in a single layer in a dish. Pour marinade over slices. Flip each slice so that it is coated on both sides. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight. You can also marinate in the morning and grill at night.
- Spray grill pan with vegetable spray. Heat over medium-high flame. Place 4-5 tofu slices on pan and grill 1-2 minutes. Flip slices over and grill on the other side. You should have dark grill lines on each side. Arrange slices on serving dish and serve hot or at room temperature.
- Serving suggestions: 1. top grilled tofu with tossed salad 2. drizzle balsamic glaze over the top 3. serve with chutney, salsa, cranberry sauce