People are always asking me what shape pasta to use for different recipes. I like to use a pasta with ridges when I make this one. The ridges give the pesto a place to latch onto and bring you more flavor. Add freshly roasted red pepper, more freshly grated parmesan and a sprinkling of toasted pine nuts and you have a truly delicious meal or side dish that can be served at room temperature.
Prep time: 30 minutes
Pasta with Pesto and Roasted Peppers
By May 17, 2015Published:
- 4 Servings
- 5 Garlic Cloves peeled
- 4 ounces pine nuts toasted
- 2 ounces Fresh Basil leaves only
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup Olive Oil
- 1 1/2 cups Freshly Grated Parmesan
- 2 large red peppers roasted,peeled, seeded and cut into long thin strips
- 1 pound fusilli/campanelli
- electric food processor steel knife inserted
- large pot
- long handled tongs
- paper bag
- To make Pesto: Place garlic cloves, pine nuts and basil in bowl of processor. Pulse until almost pureed if you like a little texture in your Pesto. Chop longer if you prefer it to be completely smooth. Slowly, pour lemon juice and olive oil through the feed tube while the processor is running. Stop the machine once or twice and scrape around the bowl to be sure all the ingredients are blended. Pour this mixture into a bowl and add one cup grated parmesan. Stir well. Taste. Add more parmesan if needed.Place plastic wrap directly on top of sauce and refrigerate.
- To roast peppers: Place one pepper in the center of your burner. Turn the flame on high and roast pepper until it is black on all sides. I do one at a time and turn them carefully with a long handled tongs. When they are fully charred, put them in a paper bag and let them steam for 10-15 minutes. Remove peppers from bag, peel off the skin and remove the seeds. I like to do this over a colander so clean up is easier.
- To assemble: Bring Pesto to room temperature. Boil pasta in salted water until it is al dente. Don't over boil it. The pasta should retain a "bite"Drain pasta in colander. Do not rinse it with water. Pour pasta into serving bowl. Toss with pesto. Arrange pepper strips over the pasta. Sprinkle with toasted pine nuts and serve. Offer more parmesan on the side.