This is the perfect starch for any meat meal. If you prefer Gluten-Free and /or you want to make this for Passover: replace the cornstarch with potato starch and the corn oil with any oil that is kosher for Passover.
By January 24, 2014Published:
- 12 Servings
- 1 hr 15 mins
- 5 Pounds White Potatoes
- 5 large Eggs
- 1/3 Cup Cornstarch (Potato Starch)
- 4 Teaspoons Baking Powder
- 2 Teaspoons Salt
- 1 Teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1 Large Onion
- 1/2 Cup Corn Oil use kosher for Passover oil for Passover and to be gluten free. Coconut oil works very well in this and is gf although not yet kosher for Passover.
- Non-Dairy Cooking Spray
- Electric Food Processor/Grater
- Large Mixing Bowl
- 10 Cup Baking Dish
- Beat eggs in large mixing bowl. Set aside.
- Peel onion and potatoes. Cut onion and potatoes into quarters.
- Attach steel knife to processor and pulse onion until minced. Add minced onion to eggs. Add quartered potatoes in small batches to processor. Pulse potatoes until they are minced. Add to eggs and onions. Mix well.
- Add remaining ingredients to potatoes and mix well.
- Preheat oven to: 350˚ F.
- Spray baking dish. Pour potato mixture into dish and bake for 1 hour –1½ hours or until golden brown. Cut into small squares and serve hot.
- Note: Kugel should be completely cooled before freezing.