The flavorful ingredients bring my favorite soup to a whole new level in this Red Wine Cabbage Soup recipe! The cinnamon and red wine bring out the earthy sweetness of the cabbage, for a filling twist on a classic soup.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Red Wine and Cabbage Soup
By March 14, 2016Published:
- 8 Servings
- 3 pounds red cabbage cored, chopped into bite size pieces and rinsed
- 1 large red onion peeled, halved and cored
- 1 large yellow onion peeled, halved and cored
- 6 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- pinch Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- 1 large cinnamon stick
- 1 large Bay Leaf
- 3 whole cloves
- 1 large Golden Delicious apple peeled, cored and minced
- 2 cups dry red wine
- 4 cups vegetable broth fresh/boxed
- 1/2 cup Balsamic Vinegar
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 6 quart soup pot with cover
- 6 inch square of cheesecloth + a long piece to tie bundle bouquet garni bags can be purchased
- Slice onions thinly and then cut those slices in half.
- Pour oil in soup pot and heat over medium high flame. Add cabbage and onions. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Stir well. Stir until vegetables are wilted. Cover pot. Simmer about 20 minutes over low flame until vegetables are very soft. Remove cover and stir twice during this time.
- Tie cinnamon stick, bay leaf and cloves in cheesecloth.
- When vegetables are soft, add apple, wine, broth, vinegar and sugar. Bring mixture to a boil, cover and reduce to a simmer. Simmer one hour. Taste. Adjust seasoning with salt, pepper and sugar if needed. Remove bouquet garni and serve hot.