Beets and goat cheese have such a strong affinity for each other that I thought I would create a Passover soup based on these wonderful ingredients. Just to take it up a notch, I coated the goat cheese in candied pecans before frying it. Add a few extra nuts as garnish and each spoonful brings your taste buds the rich taste of roasted beets pureed velvety smooth combined with sweet and crunchy nut coated goat cheese. It’s so good, you’ll want to eat this all year round!Coat the goat cheese in matzah meal if anyone is allergic to nuts. Use Panko instead of nuts if it’s not Passover.
Prep time:15 minutes
Roasted Beet Soup with Fried Goat Cheese Medallion and Candied Pecans
By March 25, 2014Published:
- 8 Servings
- 2 pounds Fresh Beets leaves off
- 1 large onion peeled and chopped
- 2 large Celery Stalks washed, trimmed, and chopped
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 10 ounce log of goat cheese
- 1/3 cup pecans toasted and finely ground
- 2/3 cup candied pecans
- heavy duty tin foil
- medium soup pot with cover
- electric food processor steel knife inserted
- large mixing bowl
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Wrap beets in foil. Roast large beets 60-75 minutes. Small beets take 30-45 minutes. Test them with a fork through the foil to see if they are soft. Allow beets to cool slightly before slipping off their skins and cutting them into coarse chunks.
- Pour oil in soup pot. Heat oil over medium flame. Add onions and celery. Stir well. Place cover over pot leaving it a little askew. Allow onions and celery to saute/steam until they are very soft and onions begin to brown. Remove cover and add beets. Stir well. Pour in four cups water. Stir again. Simmer ingredients for 15 minutes. Let ingredients cool before pureeing them.
- Pour 1 1/2-2 cups soup into processor bowl. Process several minutes until mixture is velvety smooth. Scrape soup into mixing bowl. Repeat until all the soup has been pureed. Add one more cup of water if you prefer thinner soup. Chill several hours or overnight in the fridge. You can accelerate cooling by putting bowl in the freezer for about an hour.
- To serve soup: Pour one cup pureed soup into each soup bowl. Place one medallion of fried goat cheese in the center of the bowl. Decorate with extra candied pecans.