A whole roasted cauliflower is a thing of beauty! Can anyone resist digging into that crisp outside and discovering the soft mellow flavors within? I must have tried to roast a whole cauliflower a zillion times before I settled on the method that satisfied my taste buds most. Here’s how.
Prep time: 15 minutes
By April 11, 2019Published:
- 4 Servings
- 1 2.5 pound white cauliflower
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon herbes de provence
- large pot with steamer insert and cover
- jelly roll pan lined with parchment
- Fill the pot with water until it reaches the steamer basket. Turn flame on high. While waiting for the water to boil, carefully remove leaves and as much core as possible while leaving the cauliflower intact. Rinse well. Hold the cauliflower upside down under the water so all the crevices can be rinsed. Place cauliflower in steamer basket over boiling water. Cover. Steam for 20 minutes. Remove cover and let cauliflower cool a bit before removing it from the basket.
- Preheat oven to: 425° F.
Mix oil, herbs, salt, pepper and garlic together. Hold cauliflower upside down on parchment paper. Pour half the herb mixture through the bottom. Turn over and massage the remaining mixture over the top. Take any oil that dripped through the bottom and add it to the top. Place in oven and roast 30 minutes; or until the top is brown and crusty and you can easily pierce the cauliflower with a cake tester. It should go through like butter.
- Serve roasted cauliflower as a side dish or slice and use as a base for Vegetables Bourguignon.