The aroma that emanates from this dish is intoxicating.
Sweet & Pungent Pot Roast
By January 23, 2014Published:
- 14 Servings
- 3 hrs 45 mins
- 2 Tops of the Rib Trimmed of excess fat
- 6 Tablespoons Flour (Use matzah flour for Passover)
- 1/2 Teaspoon Black Pepper
- 6 Tablespoons Corn Oil (Use Passover oil for Passover)
- 12 Ounces White Hot Horseradish
- 4 cups Fresh Whole Berry Cranberry Sauce
- 2 Sticks Cinnamon
- 6 Whole Cloves
- 2 Cups Boxed/Fresh Beef Stock
- 1 Pound Frozen White Pearl Onions Defrosted
- 2 Pounds Carrots
- Large Roasting Pan with Cover
- Large Skillet
- Oven to Table Serving Dish
- Mix flour and pepper.
- Rinse meat and pat dry. Dredge meat in flour and pepper and set aside.
- Heat oil in skillet over high heat. Brown meat on both sides and place in roasting pan. Reserve drippings in skillet.
- Add all remaining ingredients except for carrots and onions to meat. Bring to a boil and simmer covered 2-2 ½ hours or until meat is somewhat tender.
- While meat is cooking, peel carrots and cut them into two inch logs. Brown onions and carrots in meat drippings. Add vegetables to meat after the first simmering. Simmer 25-35 minutes more or until meat is tender. Cool, cover and refrigerate overnight.
- The next morning, remove congealed fat, cinnamon sticks and cloves. Slice meat and transfer to oven to table serving dish. Arrange carrots and onions over top and around slices. Pour sauce over all. Cover loosely with foil and reheat in 350˚ F. oven for at least 30 minutes or until piping hot.
- Note: In addition to being delicious, this recipe is also versatile. Leftovers make terrific sandwiches; and also can be combined with cooked potatoes in a pre-baked pie shell to become a “pot pie”!