It seems like everyone loves meatballs! I’m giving you the proportions of sugar and spices that make my family smile. You can adjust it to fit your family’s taste. Add more or less allspice, or more or less brown sugar and lemon juice. Meatballs, about one inch around, are good for a main course. Make them the size of marbles and you have hors d’oeuvres.
The best advice I can offer is that when you form the meat balls- don’t pack them too tightly. Toss them back and forth in your hands to make the balls and don’t squeeze. Drop them into the simmering sauce carefully. The results will be mouthwatering!
Prep time: 30 minutes
Sweet and Sour Meatballs
By May 20, 2016Published:
- 8 Servings
- 2 28 ounce Can/box organic Crushed Tomatoes
- 4 large Cloves Garlic peeled and minced
- 1 large onion peeled, cored and minced
- 1 1/2 cups beef broth/water
- 3/4 cup Dark Brown Sugar firmly packed
- 4 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 large eggs
- 2 pounds Chopped Steak
- 1 cup fine bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon Ground Allspice
- Dutch Oven with cover
- large mixing bowl
- Pour both cans of tomatoes into Dutch Oven. Add 1/2 cup minced onion, half of the minced garlic, beef broth, sugar and lemon juice to tomatoes. Stir well and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and continue simmering sauce while you prepare the meatballs.
- Beat eggs in mixing bowl. Add meat, crumbs, pepper and allspice. Mix thoroughly. Shape meat into meatballs with your hands very gently. Don't pack the meatballs too tightly or they will be heavy. As you finish making each meatball, drop it carefully into the simmering sauce. Partially cover the Dutch Oven and simmer slowly until the sauce has thickened and the meatballs are cooked through. Test them at the 45 minute mark to see if they're done. If not, continue cooking until they are. The meatballs will take less time to cook in a stainless steel pot than they will in an enamel one. When they are done, serve meatballs hot or at room temperature with rice or noodles and brightly colored vegetables.