The leeks and mushrooms can be prepped the day before assembly and kept well wrapped in the refrigerator overnight.
Tofu, Mushrooms, & Leeks Wrapped in Phyllo Dough
By January 6, 2014Published:
- 8 Servings
- 1 hr 15 mins
- 16 Ounces Extra Firm Tofu pressed and drained
- 8 Small Portobello Mushrooms
- 8 Large Leeks
- 2 Boxes Frozen Phyllo Dough Defrosted
- 1 cup coconut oil
- 11/4 cups Olive Oil
- Salt and Freshly Ground Pepper to Taste
- Large Skillet
- Large Jelly Roll Plan
- Baking Parchment
- Large Pastry Brush
- Dish Towel
- Cut off all dark green leaves from leeks. Halve remaining pale green and white portions of leeks lengthwise and wash them thoroughly. Be sure all the dirt and sand is gone. Slice leeks thinly. You should have about seven or eight cups of sliced leeks. Set aside.
- Heat 1/2 cup coconut oil in skillet over medium heat. Sauté leeks until tender- about 15 minutes. Season with salt and several turns of the pepper grinder. Transfer leeks to a bowl and set aside. Rinse skillet.
- Remove stems from mushrooms and then remove gills from mushrooms very carefully with a small spoon. Wipe off tops of mushrooms with a damp towel. Set aside.
- Heat remaining coconut oil in skillet over medium heat. Sauté mushrooms on each side until they brown. Set aside.
- Cut tofu into eight slices.
- To Assemble: Clean off a large surface or have a large cutting board available on which to spread out the sheets of phyllo dough. Cover dough with a damp towel to keep it moist.
- Line jelly roll pan with parchment.
- Have phyllo dough, sliced tofu, sautéed leeks, sautéed mushrooms, olive oil and jelly roll pan lined up in a convenient pattern for you to work.
- Place one sheet of phyllo dough on surface. (Immediately cover the remaining dough with the damp towel.) Brush pastry sheet with olive oil. Cover with a second sheet of dough, more oil, and then a third sheet of phyllo dough. (Don’t worry if you have small tears in the dough. They won’t show after baking.) Place one slice of tofu about five inches down from the short end of the pastry sheet. Top with ¾ cup of leeks and a mushroom. Fold over the five inch piece of dough over the tofu and vegetables and then fold in the sides. Continue to roll the package toward you until it is rectangular in shape. Place the package, seam down, in the jelly roll pan. Repeat this process until all eight pieces of tofu have been wrapped. Brush the tops and sides of tofu packages with more olive oil. You may now cover the pan with plastic wrap and refrigerate for several hours before baking.
- Preheat oven to: 350 F.
- Place pan in the oven and bake for 30-40 minutes or until pastry has turned golden brown .The packages can stay hot in a turned off oven for about 15 minutes. The tofu-vegetable packages can be served immediately or can be reheated for about 15 minutes right before serving. Plate this dish with a brightly colored vegetable and serve white wine and tarragon sauce on the side.