How I miss the taste of a wonderful lasagne made with meat sauce and cheese! Well, this week I added veggie meat crumbles to my homemade tomato sauce, loaded on all the cheese and baked it. Spectacular results! This is an easy recipe made with “no boil” lasagne noodles. All you have to do is make the veg meat sauce, layer with cheese and bake. It’s important that the “meat sauce” goes on top of the ricotta. The combination of those flavors and textures is the key to the creamy yet “meaty” taste of this recipe. Enjoy!
Prep time: 30 minutes
Vegetarian Meat Lasagne
By December 28, 2014Published:
- 8 Servings
- 1 large onion peeled and cored
- 3 large garlic cloves peeled
- olive oil
- 12 ounces veggie beef crumble
- two 26 ounce cans/boxes chopped tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley stems removed
- 1 tablespoon Dried Oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
- 1 pound lasagne noodles no boil
- 48 ounces whole milk ricotta cheese
- 16 ounces whole milk mozzarella shredded
- 1/2 cup parmesan grated
- electric food processor steel knife inserted
- large skillet
- flexible spatula
- 1 oven to table casserole 15x10x3- 20 cup capacity
- Quarter onion and add to bowl of processor with garlic cloves. Pulse until minced.
- Pour in just enough olive oil to cover the bottom of skillet. Add minced onions and garlic and sauté until softened. Crumble veggie meat into skillet and stir until well mixed. Pour in tomatoes and stir well. Add remaining ingredients and simmer until sauce thickens and very little liquid remains.
- Take about one cup of tomato sauce and spread it over the bottom of lasagne pan. Lay four noodles on top of sauce. With the spatula, spread about 16 ounces of ricotta cheese over the noodles. Then take about 1-1 1/2 cups of veggie meat sauce and pour it over the ricotta. Sprinkle 4 ounces of the mozzarella and some of the parmesan over the sauce. Top with four more noodles and repeat process two more times. You should be left with some sauce, mozzarella and parmesan. Spread the remaining sauce over the top noodles. Sprinkle the remaining cheese over the sauce. Make sure the noodles are completely covered with sauce. Don't worry if liquid builds up at the sides of the lasagne. It will cook away. Let stand about one hour before cooking. Bake uncovered in a 375° F oven for 30-40 minutes. The cheese should be browned and bubbling. Serve hot with a big salad.