What a delicious alternative to bread stuffing! The caramelized onions, dried apricots and cranberries make each mouthful a treat. I use this vegan and gluten free stuffing with turkey, Cornish hens or just as a side dish with roast chicken or even fish. Not eating meat these days, then roast a bunch of colorful vegetables and arrange them around this rice stuffing. Enjoy!
Prep time: 20 minutes
Wild and White Rice Stuffing with Pearl Onions & Dried Fruit
By September 12, 2016Published:
- 12 Servings
- 4 1/2 cups Low Salt Vegetable Broth
- 3 tablespoons Dried Thyme
- 8 ounces wild rice
- 1 1/2 cups long grain white rice
- 14 ounces Fresh Pearl Onions (peeled) or Frozen White Onions (Defrosted)
- 6 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 6 ounces dried apricots sliced into 3-4 slices each
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- Salt and Freshly Ground Pepper to Taste
- 8 cup Dutch oven with cover
- medium skillet
- Add vegetable broth and thyme to Dutch oven. Bring to a boil and add wild rice. Stir once and return to a boil. Cover pot , reduce heat and simmer rice for 30 minutes. Carefully, remove cover and add white rice. Stir once. Return to a simmer and cook until almost all the broth has been absorbed by the rice. This takes about 15-20 minutes.
- Prepare onions while rice is cooking. Add five tablespoons of oil to the skillet and heat until very hot. Add defrosted, drained, and dried (or fresh) onions and sauté until browned. They will emit a wonderful aroma as well.
- Add onions and the oil from the pan along with the apricots and cranberries to the cooked rice. Stir well with a fork. Taste. Add salt and pepper as needed. Serve hot. If you're cooking in advance, let the stuffing cool completely before placing it in the fridge.