What a delicious alternative to bread stuffing! The caramelized onions, dried apricots and cranberries make each mouthful a treat. I use this vegan and gluten free stuffing with turkey, Cornish hens or just as a side dish with roast chicken or even fish. Not eating meat these days, then roast a bunch of colorful vegetables and arrange them around this rice stuffing. Enjoy!
Prep time: 20 minutes
Wild and White Rice Stuffing with Pearl Onions & Dried Fruit
By September 12, 2016Published:
- 12 Servings
- 4 1/2 cups Low Salt Vegetable Broth
- 3 tablespoons Dried Thyme
- 8 ounces wild rice
- 1 1/2 cups long grain white rice
- 14 ounces Fresh Pearl Onions (peeled) or Frozen White Onions (Defrosted)
- 6 tablespoons Non-dairy Margarine
- 6 ounces dried apricots sliced into 3-4 slices each
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- Salt and Freshly Ground Pepper to Taste
- 8 cup Dutch oven with cover
- medium skillet
- Add vegetable broth and thyme to Dutch oven. Bring to a boil and add wild rice. Stir once and return to a boil. Cover pot , reduce heat and simmer rice for 30 minutes. Carefully, remove cover and add white rice. Stir once. Return to a simmer and cook until almost all the broth has been absorbed by the rice. This takes about 15-20 minutes.
- Prepare onions while rice is cooking. Melt two tablespoons margarine in skillet over medium heat. Add drained (or fresh) onions and sauté until browned. They will emit a wonderful aroma as well.
- Add onions and the margarine from the pan along with the apricots and cranberries to the cooked rice. Stir well with a fork. Taste. Add salt and pepper as needed. Serve hot. If you're cooking in advance, let the stuffing cool completely before placing it in the fridge.