I learned how to make Chicken with Currants, Olives and Herbs when I was taking a cooking class right outside of Florence, Italy. Knowing I was Kosher, the Chef made all the recipes with vegetable stock so I could eat them. There was no substitution for the chicken; so I couldn’t taste it; but I could see it and smell it! The Chef made his recipe with thighs; but I have chosen to use the whole chicken. Rosemary, sage, olives, currants and white wine all come together to produce a wonderfully flavorful dish. The toasted pine nuts add a wonderful crunch and look beautiful scattered over the top of the platter. Serve them on the side if you have any guests who are allergic.
Click on the link for my Tofu with Currants, Olives and Herbs for your vegetarians.
Prep time: 30-45 minutes
Chicken with Currants, Pine Nuts and Olives
By March 12, 2014Published:
- 24 pieces (8-10 Servings)
- 1 hr 45 mins
- 3 small chickens cut in joints and skinned
- 2 large Red Onions peeled and minced
- 1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- 2 cups Dry White Wine
- 1 cup Currants
- 1 cup kalamata olives pitted
- 1 bunch Fresh Sage chopped
- 2-3 branches Fresh Rosemary chopped
- 1 cup pine nuts toasted
- 1 large roasting pan
- Clean chicken carefully and pat dry. Set aside.
- Heat oil in roasting pan. Add minced onion and sauté it about 15 minutes or until very soft and translucent. Add remaining two tablespoons olive oil to the pan. Stir well.
- Add chicken to the pan and sauté it about 3 minutes on each side. You will probably have to sauté the chicken in 2-3 batches. Remove each batch of sautéed chicken and place in another pan. Grind pepper over each batch. When you have sautéed the last batch, return the rest of the chicken to the pan.
- Pour wine over chicken. Cover roaster and cook over low heat about 20 minutes. Remove cover and add currants and olives. Stir well. Recover roaster and simmer chicken 15 minutes longer.
- Remove cover from roaster and scatter chopped herbs over chicken. Stir gently to be sure that every piece of chicken is surrounded by herbs. Spoon chicken into a serving dish. Scatter nuts over the top. Serve hot with rice or roasted potatoes and colorful vegetables.