This chicken recipe is built on layers of flavor from many different elements. Your first bite tells you that this is a soft chicken recipe. As the pieces of chicken are simmering, they absorb the sweetness of carrots and orange juice along with the tang of wine and vinegar. Then, you take a bite and there’s something different you don’t expect. Something bursts in your mouth. It’s a caper! The almonds don’t add the taste of nuts as much as they add body and richness to the sauce.
Whether you’re a dark meat or white meat eater, I promise you will enjoy digging into this recipe. It’s comfort food enough for family and fancy enough for a party! Make sure to serve it with rice or couscous to soak up the gravy. Add a green vegetable for nutrition and color!
Prep time: 20 minutes
Hint: Substitute ground nuts or gf flour if you want to make this gluten free
Italian Chicken with Capers and Almonds
By November 7, 2016Published:
- 8 Servings
- 2 small chickens cut in joints and skinned
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- 1/2 cup Italian flat leaf parsley stems removed and chopped
- 1 large onion peeled, cored and cut into 1/2 inch dice
- 3 large organic carrots trimmed and peeled
- 2 large Celery Stalks washed, trimmed
- 8 large Garlic Cloves peeled
- 1 1/2 cups dry red wine
- 3/4 cup Balsamic Vinegar
- 3/4 cup orange juice processed is fine
- 4 tablespoons Capers drained
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 1 large pan to hold chcken
- 1 large skillet with cover
- 1 long handled tongs
- Clean chicken pieces thoroughly. Discard any extraneous pieces of fat or bone. Pat dry.
- Mix flour and pepper together in a shallow bowl. Dredge each piece of chicken in flour and pepper and set aside.
- Add the chopped onions to the hot oil. Stir well. Add carrots, celery and garlic. Sauté vegetables until they begin to brown. This could take about 10 minutes depending on how hot your oil is.
- Pour three tablespoons of olive oil in skillet. Heat the oil over medium flame. Place no more than four or five pieces of chicken in the skillet at once and brown on each side. Remove from skillet and set aside. Repeat process until all the chicken has been browned.
- Add wine, balsamic vinegar, orange juice, sugar, capers and almonds. Bring to a boil. Return the chicken to the skillet. Place cover on skillet and leave it somewhat askew. Simmer chicken over low heat for about 15 minutes. Remove cover and move the pieces around. Bring the top ones to the bottom and the bottom ones to the top. Return sauce to a simmer and replace cover. Simmer about 20 minutes longer.
- Arrange chicken attractively in a serving dish. Pour all the sauce over the chicken. Garnish with chopped parsley. Serve hot or at room temperature.