I needed to develop a Nut Free Vegetarian Chopped Liver because my grandchildren are allergic to nuts; and their Mother, my daughter is vegetarian. All the vegetarian chopped liver recipes I have seen have nuts as an ingredient. I tried many variations- combining different amounts of mushrooms, string beans, onions, eggs and sunflower seed butter. The results were okay but not stellar. My husband always complained that it was too green and the kids didn’t like it either. Actually, my grandson doesn’t like the taste of real chopped liver so anything I might make that tastes like that probably wouldn’t please him. My granddaughter, on the other hand, loads up her challah with real chopped liver; so she was the correct taste tester. Finally, it occurred to me what I might be doing wrong; and that’s how this recipe for Nut Free Vegetarian Chopped Liver came to be. For a recipe for traditional chopped liver, click on the link: Chopped Chicken Liver
Prep time: 20 minutes
Nut Free Vegetarian Chopped Liver
By January 21, 2014Published:
- 2 1/2 Cups
- 1 Medium Onion peeled & quartered
- 8 Ounces Baby Bella Mushrooms stemmed & wiped clean
- 3 Large Eggs hard boiled & peeled
- 1/4 Cup Sunflower Seeds toasted
- 1/4 Cup + 2 Tablespoons Vegetable Oil (use grapeseed or avocado oil for Passover)
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Electric Food Processor
- 1 Medium Skillet
- 1 Medium Mixing Bowl
- Pulse quartered onion in processor until it is finely chopped.
- Heat oil in skillet. Add onions and stir well so that they are all coated in oil. Sauté until they are very soft.
- While onions are cooking, pulse mushrooms in processor. Add to onions in skillet and sauté over medium high heat until they are fully cooked but have not released their juices. Remove from heat.
- Place eggs in processor and pulse until they are chopped but still retain some large pieces. Add toasted sunflower seeds and pulse again until eggs and seeds are minced.
- Scrape mushrooms and onions into mixing bowl. Add eggs and seeds. Stir well. Taste. Add salt and pepper as needed. Chill. Serve with crackers as an hors d’oeuvre.
- Note: Some organic sunflower seeds come pre-salted. Be sure you taste the veggie liver before pouring on the salt. It will need much less than you might imagine.