This borscht is full of flavor from the vegetables and dill with a slight sweet and sour tang from the vinegar and sugar. Even your carnivores will love it!
By January 17, 2014Published:
- 4 Servings
- 1 hr 30 mins
- 5 Cups Vegetable Broth
- 1 Large Beet (3 Cups Shredded)
- 1/2 Pound Red Cabbage Cored and Shredded
- 2 Cloves Garlic Peeled and Pushed Through Garlic Press
- 3 Tablespoons Tomato Paste
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1/4 Cup Sugar
- 1 Ounce Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 Large Russet Potato (1 Cup Peeled and Diced)
- 1/2 Cup Fresh Dill
- Salt and Pepper To Taste
- 4 Quart Soup Pot
- Grater/Electric Food Processor
- Pour vegetable broth into soup pot. Bring to a boil. Add shredded beets and cabbage. Return soup to a boil and then reduce to a simmer. Place cover askew on pot and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Mix pressed garlic and tomato paste together. Remove one cup hot liquid from pot and stir into tomato paste. Pour this mixture back into the pot. Add bay leaf, sugar, vinegar, dill and potatoes. Simmer for 30 minutes more. Taste. Add salt and pepper to taste. Remove bay leaf. Serve hot.