These rich creamy potatoes are delicious whether topped with chopped pecans or marshmallows.
Sweet Potato Casserole
By February 21, 2014Published:
- 18 Servings
- 6 Pounds Sweet Potatoes
- 3/4 cup + 6 tablespoons Dark Brown Sugar
- 3/4 Cup Non-dairy Margarine melted
- 1 Tablespoon Vanilla Extract*
- 3 11 oz cans Mandarin Oranges drained
- 1 Cup Chopped Pecans
- Large Pot
- 6 Quart Oven to Table Casserole
- Boil potatoes until very soft. Drain, cool slightly and peel. Place potatoes in large mixing bowl. Add 6 tablespoons margarine, 3/4 cup brown sugar, and vanilla to potatoes. Whip ingredients together well by hand or in electric mixer. Fold in oranges. Spoon mixture into casserole and smooth over the top.
- Preheat oven to: 375˚ F.
- Mix together remaining margarine and brown sugar. Scatter chopped pecans over the top of casserole. Dribble sugar and margarine mixture over nuts. Bake 45 minutes or until piping hot.
- * Cognac can be used in place of vanilla.
- Note: Marshmallows can be used instead of nuts and brown sugar. Decorate the top of casserole with them during the last 15 minutes of baking.