Start with sliced apples, mix them with tangy pomegranate seeds, sauté everything with a fresh Vanilla bean and douse that with Apple Liqueur! You could eat this with a spoon or over ice cream – or better yet- use it as a filling for All-Purpose Crêpes. There is no way to adequately describe how delicious these are! The crêpes are thin and light, the fruit filling is perfumed with Vanilla and Apple Liqueur and then you add more liqueur before you place it under the broiler. Overkill- absolutely not. My grandchildren are begging for more.
What more perfect dessert for Rosh Hashana is there than one which is made with apples, honey, pomegranate arils and even more apples in the liqueur? You can make everything in advance and heat it up before dessert. Truth be told- you can eat them at room temperature as well. Enjoy!
Prep time: 30 minutes (assuming you have already made /purchased crêpes)
Apple and Pomegranate Crêpes
By September 14, 2016Published:
- enough to fill 12 crêpes
- 4 inches fresh Vanilla bean
- 3 tablespoons non-dairy margarine
- 3 large Granny Smith Apples peeled, cored and thinly sliced
- 3 large Golden Delicious apples peeled, cored and thinly sliced
- 4 tablespoons pomegranate arils
- 2/3 cup apple liqueur
- 12 5-6 inch crêpes
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/3 cup + 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/3 cup water
- large skillet
- baking pan with lip
- pastry brush
- Slice Vanilla bean lengthwise without breaking the spine. Melt margarine in skillet over medium heat. Add Vanilla bean and press down on it to release its seeds. Add sliced apples and 3 tablespoons of arils. Sauté apples until they are soft and you see the specks of vanilla coating them . The aroma will be amazing! Remove from heat and stir in 1/3 cup of Apple Liqueur.
- Brush the inside of the baking pan with coconut oil. Take one crêpe at a time and place it flatly on the pan. Place about 1/4 cup of apple filling in the center. Fold over the top of the crêpe and press down lightly. Move this crêpe up to the top of the pan. Repeat process until all 12 crêpes are filled. Set aside.
- Sauce: Add honey, sugar, and water to the saucepan. Stir the ingredients together over low heat. Add remaining 1/3 cup apple liqueur. Stir another minute and remove from heat.
Preheat oven to broil.
- Pour sauce over all the Apple Crêpes. Sprinkle with remaining one tablespoon sugar. Place under broiler for about five minutes. Watch carefully. You want them to brown-but not burn! Serve hot or at room temperature.