As comforting as mashed potatoes, this peas and rice recipe is warming and delicious as a side dish. Add some chicken to the skillet and you have a one pot meal!
Prep time: 20 minutes
Pigeon Peas and Rice
By January 31, 2016Published:
- 1 large onion peeled, cored and chopped
- 2 stalks Celery diced
- 4 tablespoons non-dairy margarine
- 1 6 ounce can tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- Salt and Freshly Ground Pepper to Taste
- 1 15 ounce can pigeon peas with liquid
- 1 2/3 cup water
- 1 1/2 cups lomg grain white rice
- small bunch of fresh thyme tied with string
- 1 large skillet with cover
- 1 wooden spoon
- Melt margarine in skillet over medium high heat. Add onion and celery and saute until onions are translucent. Stir in tomato paste and ketchup. Taste. Season with salt and pepper. Reduce flame to low and cook about another 10 minutes.
- Pour can of pigeon peas with liquid into skillet. Add water and rice. Stir well. Place thyme bundle in the center. Bring mixture to a boil. Cover and reduce to a simmer. Cook about 40 minutes or until all the liquid has been absorbed into the rice. Remove cover and fluff rice with a fork. The rice will be soft and the grains will stick together in a good way. Taste. Add more salt and pepper if needed. Serve hot or warm.