This recipe is for non dairy Sesame Sticks. If you’re not a fan of sesame seeds, you can also make it with poppy seeds or caraway seeds. You can mix the seeds and use them all. If you are having a dairy meal, you can make or buy dairy puff pastry and sprinkle it with grated Parmesan cheese by itself or with the seed(s) of your choice. Make these hors d’oeuvres in advance and freeze them for surprise company. Warm them up slightly in a 300° F. oven after defrosting before you serve them.
These Sesame Sticks are a great alternative to croutons. Try them as a something to crunch on with Cream of Cucumber Dill Soup.
Prep time: 30 minutes
By June 11, 2014Published:
- 80 small sticks
- 1 package non-dairy frozen puff pastry thawed
- 1/4 cup toasted sesame seeds
- 1 large egg beaten
- rolling pin
- 2 large cookie sheets lined with baking parchment
- pastry brush
- cooling racks
- Preheat oven to: 400° F.
- Roll out each pastry sheet on a lightly floured surface until it measures 10 inches square. Brush each sheet with beaten egg. Sprinkle each sheet with your choice of seeds (and/or cheese).
- Cut each sheet into twenty 1/2 inch wide long strips. Cut these strips in half. Pick up each strip in one hand. Twirl it into a straw with the other and carefully place them on cookie sheet. Leave 1/2 inch between the sticks.
- Bake sticks 15 minutes or until puffed and golden brown. Cool on racks before serving.