Toasted almonds give everything more flavor and crunch!
Prep time: 20 minutes
String Beans Almondine
By January 20, 2016Published:
- 3 pounds (8-10 Servings)
- 3 pounds fresh haricots verts or green beans
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons non-hydrogeneated non dairy margarine
- 1 1/2 cups sliced almonds toasted
- freshly ground black pepper optional
- 1 large skillet with cover
- 1 colander
- 1 large mixing bowl filled with ice
- Cut off the root ends of the beans. I like the look of the pointy ends; but if you don't, cut those off as well. Rinse beans thoroughly.
- Fill skillet with 3 inches of water. Add salt and bring to a boil. Carefully, pour beans into the skillet. Return water to a boil and cover skillet. Cook beans about 5 minutes-or until they are bright green. To test for doneness- remove one bean with a tongs and bite it. It should be crisp-tender. Remember that the beans will continue to cook until you shock them with ice. When beans are cooked, drain them in colander and then place them in a mixing bowl filled with ice. Turn the beans around with a spoon so that the ice touches all the beans. When they are cold, drain beans again in the colander and pat them dry.
- Melt margarine (or butter for a dairy meal) in skillet over medium high heat. Return beans to skillet. Sprinkle toasted almonds over the beans and toss until they are heated through. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve hot or at room temperature.