My family isn’t vegan; but every once in awhile, we have guests who are. I had torn out this recipe ages ago from somewhere. It looks like magazine paper as opposed to newspaper. The original recipe is not vegan; but it just took a few changes to make it so. The result is crisp, chocolatey and delicious. Enjoy!
Hint: For a standard gas oven: place 1-2 racks towards the center of oven. Do not place rack on the bottom level. You will have to reverse cookie sheets from one rack to the other half way through the baking. For an oven with convection capabilities: Reduce oven temp to 325°F and watch cookies carefully. Check them at 5 minutes and again at 6 minutes. You do not have to reverse cookies sheets.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Vegan Double Chocolate Cookies
By September 1, 2019Published:
- about 36 cookies
- 4 ounces vegan sweet chocolate chopped
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar tightly packed
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 4 ounces vegan margarine slighly softened
- 1/3 cup unsweetened and unflavored applesauce
- 2 teaspoons Vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 6 ounces vegan semi-sweet chocolate chips
- electric food processor steel knife inserted
- rubber spatula
- 2-3 cookie sheets lined with baking parchment
- mini scoop about 1 tablespoon
- metal spatula
- 3 cooling racks
- Preheat oven to: 350° F.
- Place chopped sweet chocolate, brown sugar and white sugar in mixing bowl. Pulse on and off until the mixture resembles cornmeal. Remember to scrape the crumbs down from the sides of the bowl in between pulsing. Add margarine. Blend until incorporated and creamy. Add applesauce and vanilla. Mix until smooth. Be sure to scrape down the sides of bowl and mix again. Add flour, baking soda and salt, and chocolate chips. Pulse a few times til they are mixed in. Scrape bowl with spatula and pulse again. Don't pulse too long. You don't want to chop the chocolate chips too finely.
- Using the mini scoop, drop batter onto to cookie sheet-leaving 1 1/2 inches between cookies. Bake about 9 minutes. Check cookies at 7 minutes. They will rise, bubble and then deflate. Don't try to lift them off the pan until they have cooled for two minutes. Lift cookies off sheet and cool them on racks.