These eggplant sandwiches have it all. They are vegetarian and could be carb free if you use gf bread crumbs. They are ooey-gooey and delicious. Have some home made tomato sauce ready to dip them in. Serve these sandwiches with a salad for a light lunch or as a first course with pasta and salad for a light dinner. Should you choose to make them for Passover, you can replace the flour with either ground nuts or matzah meal.
By March 10, 2014Published:
- 6 sandwiches
- 32 mins
- 1 pound eggplant peeled and top removed
- 2 1/4 inch rounds mozzarella
- 2 sundried tomatoes drained
- 2 1/4 inch slices goat cheese
- 10 small leaves baby arugula stems removed
- 2 small slices of blue cheese
- 10 small leaves Baby Spinach stems removed
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 Large eggs beaten
- 1 cup Unflavored Bread Crumbs
- Vegetable Oil
- 2 cups tomato sauce optional
- 3 shallow bowls Fill one with flour, one with beaten egg and one with breadcrumbs
- 1 medium skillet
- 1 spatula
- Cut eggplant into six 3/4-1 inch rounds. Partially slice each round in half with your knife parallel to the cutting surface so that you leave a one half inch hinge at one spot.
- For Mozzarella and sun dried tomato sandwiches: Halve sun dried tomatoes. Squeeze one slice of mozzarella and two halves of tomato in each of two sliced eggplant rounds. Press down on the top slightly.
- For goat cheese and arugula sandwiches: Squeeze one slice of goat cheese and about five leaves of arugula into two eggplant rounds.
- For blue cheese and spinach sandwiches: Squeeze blue cheese and about five leaves of spinach in eggplant rounds.
- Dredge all the sandwiches in flour. Shake off any excess. Dip floured rounds in egg and let excess egg drip off. Coat rounds (top, bottom and sides)in bread crumbs and set aside.
- Pour enough oil in skillet to come up about one half inch in the pan. Heat oil over medium flame. Place two eggplant sandwiches with the same filling in the oil. Brown sandwiches about three minutes on each side. Keep turning them until you get them as golden as you like. Drain Fried sandwiches on paper towels before arranging them on a platter. Serve tomato sauce on the side.