The most important step in making this recipe is squeezing the water out of the shredded zucchini. Doing that makes all the difference. Turkish in origin, these latkes give you the wonderful flavors of parsley, mint and dill combined with the taste of melted feta. A healthy squeeze of lemon adds just the right zing. These latkes can be served as a entree with a salad or as a side dish with grilled fish. Enjoy!
Prep time: 30 minutes
By December 11, 2014Published:
- 3 medium zucchini rinsed and trimmed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 large onion peeled, halved, cored and thinly sliced
- 4 large garlic cloves peeled and minced
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 3 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 8 ounces feta cut into small dice
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 small bunch dill stems removed, minced and rinsed
- 1 small bunch Italian, Flat Leaf Parsley stems removed, minced and rinsed
- 1 small bunch Mint Leaves stems removed, minced and rinsed
- 1 electric food processor shredder blade inserted
- 1 colander
- 1 large skillet
- 1 large bowl
- 1 wooden spoon
- 1 slotted spatula
- Slice zucchini lengthwise and then in thirds crosswise-so that they fit into processor feeding tube. Shred zucchini and empty bowl into colander. Sprinkle with salt and toss well. Set aside for 15 minutes.
- Place sliced onion and garlic into mixing bowl.
- Squeeze water out of shredded zucchini. one handful at a time. Add zucchini to onions and garlic. Mix well.
- Heat three tablespoons olive oil in skillet over medium high flame. Add zucchini mixture and saute until the vegetables start to brown. Remove from heat and cool for 10 minutes.
- Add eggs to mixing bowl and beat well. Add flour and stir until smooth. Add diced feta and minced herbs. You can change the proportion of the herbs depending on your personal taste.
- Add sauteed zucchini to batter. Stir well. Sprinkle with chili powder and pepper. Taste. Adjust seasoning.
- Pour just enough olive oil to the skillet to cover the bottom. Heat over medium high flame. Drop batter by wooden spoonful into the oil. Flatten very slightly. These are not thin latkes. Brown on one side three-four minutes or until firm enough to flip and then brown on the other side. Add more oil as needed. Remove from skillet with slotted spatula and drain on paper towels. Arrange on serving platter and serve warm with lemon wedges or slices.