Flaky crust and vanilla flavored apples still warm from the oven make a mouth watering dessert. Enjoy.
Prep time: 30 minutes
By September 2, 2014Published:
- 1 package frozen non dairy puff pastry defrosted
- flour for dusting rolling surface
- 4 large Macintosh apples peeled, cored, quartered and cut into small dice
- 1 large Vanilla Bean
- 2 tablespoons Non-dairy Margarine
- 1 large egg beaten
- 1/4 cup sugar plus more sugar fro sprinkling over pastry tops
- 1 medium skillet with cover
- 1 slotted spoon
- 1 rolling pin
- 1 cookie sheet lined with baking parchment
- 1 small pastry brush
- 2 cooling racks
- Preheat oven to: 350 F.
- Melt margarine over low heat in skillet.
- Slice vanilla bean down the center with a sharp knife and scrape.the seeds out with the back of the same knife. Add vanilla seeds to melted margarine. Stir well. Add sugar and apples. Stir again and cover skillet. Cook apples for about five minutes. They should be soft but still hold their shape. Remove apples from skillet using a slotted spoon and place in a small bowl. They will be speckled with the vanilla seeds and will smell heavenly.
- Sprinkle pastry board or counter wuth flour. Place one sheet of puff pastry on flour. Roll it out until the pastry sheet is 25% thinner. Cut off any uneven edges. Cut pastry into nine squares. Brush the edges of each square with beaten egg. Spoon a small amount of apples into the center of each square. Fold over the pastry from one point of the square to form a triangle. ( If your squares are more rectangular, you will have to trim the parts that don't fit properly.) Press the tines of a fork around the edges of the triangle to seal it closed. Place turnover on cookie sheet. Repeat process until all the squares have been filled. Do the same thing again with the remaining pastry sheet.
- Brush all the turnovers with beaten egg. Sprinkle the tops with sugar. Make a small slit in the top of each one to allow steam to escape. Place turnovers in oven and bake until they are puffed and browned. This should take about 20 minutes. Remove from oven and cool on racks. Serve warm. These turnovers can be fully cooled, frozen and reheated in 350 oven for 10 minutes.