I never seem to make enough croutons! Everyone loves these crunchy cubes plain or with added salt or garlic. What a perfect way to re-purpose your left over challah or any other bread you have that’s drying out. I add croutons to soups and salads. My family even likes just munching on them as a snack!
For another crunchy treat to enjoy with soups and salads, try Puff Pastry Straws
Prep time: 15 minutes
By February 7, 2014Published:
- 8 Servings
- 3 Cups Bread Cubes (leftover Challah or Italian Bread)
- 8 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 Cloves Garlic peeled & halved
- Large Skillet or electric fryer
- Slotted Spoon
- rack with holes placed over waxed paper
- Heat oil in skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic halves and sauté them until they are browned on each side. Remove garlic with slotted spoon and discard.
- Add half the bread cubes to hot garlic oil and brown on all sides. Croutons should be golden brown and very crisp.. Remove croutons with slotted spoon and spread out on rack to drain.. Repeat process with second half of bread cubes. Serve croutons with hot or cold soups or sprinkle them over salads. Any leftovers should be stored in an air tight container.