You can make these Puff Pastry Straws out of store bought puff pastry made with butter or the non-dairy variety made with margarine. I usually make them non-dairy so that I can serve them with a meat meal. It doesn’t get easier than slightly rolling out the defrosted pastry, sprinkling it with the seeds and spices of your choice, cutting, twisting, and baking them. The result is a tasty Puff Pastry Straw that you can serve as an hors d’oeuvre or a crunchy addition to a salad.
You can season these Puff Pastry Straws according to your own taste. I generally use toasted sesame seeds; but you can do a mix of sesame, poppy and caraway or use them individually. You can add dried thyme or oregano to the salt and pepper; or you can opt to make them dairy (in this case, buy the dairy puff pastry) by sprinkling them with grated Parmesan or cheddar cheese. The possibilities are endless. Enjoy!
For another easy recipe with store bought puff pastry, click on the link for Mushroom Ears!
Prep time: 30 minutes
Puff Pastry Straws
By January 16, 2017Published:
- 80 small straws
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1 package frozen non dairy puff pastry defrosted
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds toasted
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1 large egg beaten
- 1/4 cup caraway seeds/poppy seeds optional
- rolling pin
- pastry brush
- sharp knife
- 2 large cookie sheets lined with baking parchment
- Preheat oven to: 400° F.
Mix seeds with salt and pepper and any other seasoning you choose.
- Sprinkle flour on flat surface and rub it on the rolling pin. Take one piece of pastry at a time and roll it out a little thinner than it already is; until it measures about 10 inches on each side. Brush the sheet with beaten egg. Sprinkle half the seasoning mixture all over the pastry sheet.
- With a sharp knife, cut 20 1/2 inch wide strips. Cut these strips in thirds horizontally. Pick up each strip in two hands and twist it into a straw by turning the dough in opposite directions with each hand,. Place each straw on cookie sheet. Leave about 1/2 inch between the straws. Repeat same process with second sheet of puff pastry. Bake for 10-12 minutes until straws are puffed and browned. Serve immediately or let cool completely before freezing for later use. Warm them in a 300° F oven after defrosting them.