Making Mushroom Ears couldn’t be easier. Defrost a box of puff pastry, spread it with sautéed mushrooms and onions, roll up, slice and bake. They are actually easier to slice when they’re slightly frozen; so I always try to have a few rolls in my freezer for whenever we need them.
Interested in other mushroom bites? Click on the link for Stuffed Mushrooms.
By February 7, 2014Published:
- 50 mins
- 3 non-dairy frozen puff pastry sheets defrosted
- 20 Ounces White Mushrooms wiped clean, stems trimmed
- 1 Large Onion peeled, cored and quartered
- 3/4 Teaspoon Fresh Lemon Juice
- 2 Tablespoons Flour Additional Flour Needed for Dusting
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Dried Thyme
- Freshly Ground Pepper
- 5 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 Large Eggs beaten With 4 Tablespoons of Water
- Large Skillet
- 2 Baking Sheets
- Cooking Parchment
- Pastry Brush
- rolling pin
- electric food processor
- Mince mushrooms and onion in electric food processor..
- Pour oil into skillet and heat over medium flame. Add mushrooms and onions and cook until juices almost completely evaporate. Stir occasionally. Remove from heat.
- Add lemon juice, 2 tablespoons flour and thyme. Stir well. Season with pepper to taste. Cool.
- Sprinkle flour over flat surface. Place 1 pastry sheet on surface and roll slightly- maintaining a rectangular shape.
- Spread 1/3 mushroom mixture over pastry sheet, leaving a ¼ inch border on all sides. Starting from one short side, roll three times towards the middle. Repeat with the other side. Press the two sides together. Wrap rolls in waxed paper and chill for at least one hour or overnight. (To freeze: wrap in waxed paper and then tin foil before freezing.)
- Preheat oven to: 400° F.
- Line baking sheets with parchment paper. Remove rolls from refrigerator. Cut rolls into ¼ inch slices. Place cut side down on parchment paper one inch apart. Brush with egg glaze. Bake about 20 minutes or until golden brown. Serve hot or at room temperature.
- Note: To prepare frozen rolls: Thaw just enough to be able to cut them cleanly. Proceed with recipe above.