Color, texture, flavor- this Turkish inspired salad of Orange, Red Onion, Avocado and Olives has it all. Sumac adds an intriguing fruity sour note. The cumin and thyme add earthiness and the mint adds freshness. It’s an easy to salad to prepare for a crowd because the hearty ingredients lend themselves to pre-plating. Nothing wilts!
Prep time: 20 minutes
Note: Use toasted Sunflower seeds if anyone is allergic to nuts
Orange, Red Onion, Avocado and Olive Salad
By August 29, 2016Published:
- 8 Servings
- 6 large Naval Oranges
- 3 ripe Haas avocados peeled, pitted, and sliced thinly
- 2 medium red onions peeled, halved and sliced thinly
- 24 pitted Kalamata Olives
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons ground Sumac
- 2 teaspoons dried Thyme
- 2 teaspoons ground Cumin
- 1/3 cup pine nuts toasted
- 1 small bunch fresh mint leaves
- pinch salt optional
- 1 serrated knife
- 1 medium mixing bowl
- 1 small mixing bowl
- 1 shallow serving platter
- Peel oranges using the serrated knife. Remove all the pith. Cut oranges into thin rounds. Remove any pits and place oranges into mixing bowl. Add sliced avocados, onions and olives. Pour the olive oil over all. Toss gently.
- Mix the sumac, cumin and thyme together. Sprinkle them over the salad. Toss gently again. Taste. Sprinkle with a pinch of salt if desired. Arrange salad attractively in serving dish. Sprinkle with toasted nuts or sunflower seeds. Garnish with mint leaves. Serve at room temperature.