Why the combination of Endive, Blood Orange, Avocado and Chioggia Beets? I think in color and contrasting flavors and textures! When I saw the rainbow sweet Chioggia beets, I imagined them with juicy mildly acidic blood red oranges, pale green mellow avocados and crisp white endives. Toss the salad with a Lemon Vinaigrette and you have a perfect and beautiful first course or side salad. My husband loves nuts; so a sprinkle of toasted pine nuts on top makes everything better. You can certainly leave them out and you’ll still have a delicious salad.
Endive, Blood Orange, Avocado, and Chioggia Beet Salad
By February 18, 2017Published:
- 6 Servings
- 4 large chioggia beets red/yellow beets are good as well
- 3 large blood oranges
- 2 large endives
- 2 Haas avocados
- 1/2 cup toasted pine nuts optional
- lemon vinaigrette
- sharp smooth blade knife
- citrus knife/serrated knife
- medium mixing bowl
- Preheat oven to: 400°F.
Wrap beets in foil and roast them 45 -60 minutes-or until a sharp knife can pierce them. Let beets cool before carefully peeling them. Slice beets thinly and set aside.
- With a citrus knife or any sharp serrated knife, cut off the skin of the oranges. You will discover how thick the skin is when you start to slice it away. Cut as close to the fruit as possible so that there is very little white pith remaining. Next step is to slice in between the membrane on either side of the orange wedges and just remove the fruit. Don't worry if they fall apart a little bit. Place orange wedges in mixing bowl.
- Trim endives. Cut them lengthwise down the middle and then in 3/4 inch slices. Place the slices in a colander. Rinse them and then dry them in a salad spinner or with paper towel. Add endive to the oranges.
- Peel avocados. Remove pits. Slice avocados into 1/2 inch pieces and add them to oranges and endives. Pour lemon vinaigrette over all and toss gently.
- To serve : Arrange 4-5 slices of beets around the outside of your salad plate. Spoon orange, endive and avocado mixture in the center. Sprinkle with toasted nuts if desired.