Nothing soaks up gravy like a crispy on the outside, creamy in the middle Potato Kugel. If you prefer Gluten-Free and /or you want to make this for Passover: replace the cornstarch with potato starch and the corn oil with oil that is kosher for Passover. This recipe double or triples easily, freezes well and is perfect to make in advance for a crowd.
By January 24, 2014Published:
- 12 Servings
- 1 hr 15 mins
- 5 large Eggs
- 2 Teaspoons fine sea salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1 Large Onion
- 3 Pounds Russet Potatoes
- 1/3 Cup Cornstarch (Potato Starch)
- 4 Teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1/2 Cup vegetable oil use kosher for Passover oil for Passover and to be gluten free. Coconut oil works very well in this and is gf although not yet kosher for Passover.
- Non-Dairy Cooking Spray
- Electric Food Processor steel knife and grater
- Large Mixing Bowl
- 13x9x2 baking dish sprayed with non dairy spray
- Beat eggs with salt and pepper in large mixing bowl. Set aside.
- Peel onion. Cut into quarters. Place in processor (steel knife inserted) and mince. Add to beaten eggs.
- Replace steel knife with grater in processor. Peel potatoes and quarter them. Add quartered potatoes to feeding tube of processor. Press on and grate potatoes. Repeat until all the potatoes are grated. Add to eggs and onions. Mix well. I find it easiest to mix it well with gloved hands. Add remaining ingredients and mix again.
- Preheat oven to: 350˚ F.
Pour potato mixture into dish and bake for 60-90 minutes or until golden brown. Cut into small squares and serve hot.
- Note: Kugel should be completely cooled before freezing.