This Strawberry Blueberry Tart is a delicious and beautiful way to celebrate the summer. The contrasting textures and taste of cooked and raw blueberries combined with the sweetness of this season’s strawberries is irresistible. Serve with a scoop of Vanilla Bean ice cream if you’re having a dairy meal. Enjoy!
Note: I bake my tart crusts in a flan ring placed on a parchment lined cookie sheet; as opposed to a pan where you have to push the bottom up through the ring to free it. With a flan ring, you just wait til the tart cools a bit and then carefully lift the ring off the tart before sliding it on to a serving plate.
Prep time: 20 minutes
By July 2, 2014Published:
- one 11 inch tart (10 Servings)
- 11 inch non-dairy tart crust pre-baked
- strawberries wiped clean
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons Cornstarch
- 4 pints fresh blueberries you need at least 5 1/2 cups berries
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 quart strawberries wiped clean
- medium saucepan with cover
- small mixing bowl
- Zest one lemon on the small holed side of the grater directly into small mixing bowl. Set aside. Shred the other lemon on the shredder side of the grater on to a piece of waxed paper. Wrap tightly and reserve for later. Squeeze enough juice from the two lemons to measure four tablespoons. Set aside.
- Add sugar, cinnamon and cornstarch to small mixing bowl. Stir together with lemon zest. Set aside.
- Rinse blueberries. Remove all stems and bruised berries. Put 3 full cups of berries and water in saucepan. Cover and bring to a boil. Remove cover and stir in lemon juice and sugar mixture. Return mixture to a boil and stir until thickened. Remove saucepan from heat. Cool slightly. Spread a piece of plastic wrap directly on top of berries and refrigerate until completely chilled- about one hour.
- Gently dry remaining blueberries. Remove chilled blueberry mixture from the fridge. Fold in 1 2/ cups raw berries. Spoon blueberry filling into baked tart shell. Smooth over the top gently.
- Slice off the stem of each strawberry so that they stand straight. Arrange strawberries around the inside circumference of the tart. If you have beautiful berries left over, arrange them around the outside of the tart as well. Scatter one cup uncooked blueberries over the center. Scatter the reserved shredded lemon zest over the top. Serve tart chilled.