Tofu with Currants, Olives and Herbs is the vegetarian version of Chicken with Currants, Olives and Herbs– recipe I learned in Tuscany many years ago. Make it at least one day in advance so that the tofu has a chance to soak up the flavors of the sauce.
Prep time: 45 minutes
Tofu with Currants, Olives and Herbs
By January 24, 2016Published:
- 8-10 slices
- 1/4 cup Olive Oil
- 1 large red onion peeled, cored and finely chopped
- 1 pound Container of Extra Firm Tofu pressed, drained and sliced
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup pitted Kalamata Olives
- 1/2 cup currants
- 1/2 cup Fresh Sage chopped
- 2 large branches rosemary strip rosemary from branches and chop
- 1/2 cup toasted pine nuts optional
- 1 large skillet
- 1 slotted spatula
- 1 oven to table serving dish
- Heat olive oil in skillet over medium flame. Add chopped onion and sauté until translucent.
- Pat tofu slices dry. Carefully, place them in the skillet with the onions and brown on each side. Grind a little black pepper directly over tofu and onions. Add wine, olives and currants. Stir gently so that the tofu is touched by all the ingredients. Bring sauce to a simmer and cook 2-3 minutes. Sprinkle herbs over the top and stir gently again. Allow tofu to sit in the sauce several hours or overnight. Heat on top of the oven over low flame or in a 300° F oven for about 15 minutes. Sprinkle with fresh herbs before serving. Toasted pine nuts can be sprinkled on before serving or served on the side.