Who doesn’t love a big bowl of Vegan Mushroom and Barley soup. This one is is brimming over with flavor from loads of leeks, parsnips, carrots and dill. Serve Vegan Mushroom and Barley Soup as a first course; or add crusty bread and a salad and enjoy it as a meal! For a Vegetable soup without barley, click on the link.
Note: Be aware that the barley will thicken the soup when made in advance. Add water or vegetable stock to thin it down if you like. Personally, I love a thick soup!
Prep time: 30 minutes
Vegan Mushroom and Barley Soup
By December 17, 2013Published:
- 8-10 Servings
- 6 large Carrots organic have the most flavor
- 1 Large Leek
- 1 Large Onion
- 1 Large Parsnip
- 1 medium turnip optional
- 1 Pound White Potatoes
- 1 Pound Mushrooms button and baby bellas
- 1/2 Cup Barley
- 1/4 cup Vegetable Oil
- 8 Cups No Chicken Chicken/Vegetable Stock/water or water
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 3 Bay Leaves
- 1 small bunch Fresh Dill stems removed and chopped
- 8 quart Soup Pot
- Halve leek lengthwise. Slice white and pale green parts. Place in a colander and wash thoroughly. Set aside.
- Peel onion and parsnip (and optional turnip). Dice vegetables and add to leeks.
- Peel carrots and cut them into ¼ inch slices. Add to other vegetables.
- Wipe, trim stems and slice mushrooms. Add to vegetables.
- Peel and dice potatoes. Set aside.
- Heat oil in soup pot over medium flame. Add vegetables. Sprinkle with salt and sauté until onions are translucent. Add potatoes, barley, stock/water, and bay leaves to the pot. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cover pot. Cook one hour or until vegetables are very tender. Add dill. Taste. Add salt and pepper as needed. Serve hot.