Call these Zucchini- Feta Latkes or Zucchini-Feta Pancakes. The most important step in making this recipe is squeezing the water out of the shredded zucchini. Doing that makes all the difference. Turkish in origin, these latkes give you the wonderful flavors of parsley, mint and dill combined with the taste of melted feta. A healthy squeeze of lemon adds just the right zing. These latkes can be served as a entrée with a salad or as a side dish with fish. Enjoy!
Prep time: 30 minutes
Hint: I use a total of 1 3/4 cups minced herbs.
By December 11, 2014Published:
- 1 1/4 pounds zucchini rinsed and trimmed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 large onion peeled
- 4 large garlic cloves peeled
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 8 ounces feta cut into small dice
- 1 small bunch dill stems removed, minced and rinsed
- 1 small bunch Italian, Flat Leaf Parsley stems removed, minced and rinsed
- 1 small bunch Mint Leaves stems removed, minced and rinsed
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 electric food processor shredder blade inserted
- 1 colander
- 1 large skillet
- 1 medium bowl
- 1 wooden spoon
- 1 slotted spatula
- 2 cooling racks placed over waxed paper
- Slice zucchini lengthwise and then in thirds crosswise-so that they fit into processor feeding tube. Shred zucchini and empty bowl into colander. Sprinkle with salt and toss well. Cover with a piece of waxed paper and then place a heavy can on top of it. Set aside for 15 minutes.
- Replace shredder disc with steel knife. Place onion and garlic together in mixing bowl of processor. Pulse until vegetables are finely minced. Scrape mixture into a mixing bowl.
- Squeeze water out of shredded zucchini. one handful at a time. Add zucchini to onions and garlic. Mix well.
- Heat three tablespoons vegetable oil in skillet over medium high flame. Add zucchini mixture and sauté until the onions start to brown and the zucchini dries out. Remove from heat and cool for 10 minutes.
- Add eggs to mixing bowl and beat well. Add flour and stir until smooth. Add diced feta and minced herbs. You can change the proportion of the herbs depending on your personal taste. My mixture is: 1/2 cup mint, 1/2 cup parsley, 3/4 cup dill.
- Add sautéed zucchini mixture to eggs mixture. Stir well. Sprinkle with chili powder and pepper. Taste. Adjust seasoning.
- Pour just enough vegetable oil to the skillet to cover the bottom. Heat over medium high flame. Drop batter by wooden spoonful into the oil. Flatten very slightly. These are not supposed to be thin crisplatkes. Brown on one side three-four minutes or until firm enough to flip and then brown on the other side. Add more oil as needed. Remove from skillet with slotted spatula and drain on a rack so the oil can drip through.. Arrange on serving platter and serve warm with lemon wedges or slices.