I just love my grandmother’s recipe for stuffed cabbage–the smell of it cooking just says ‘High Holidays’ to me. Because I have vegetarians at my table every year (my daughter and sil), I always make a batch that is purely vegetarian. It’s really the Ginger Snaps, not the meat, that gives it a special flavor anyway. This year, I decided to eliminate a step and make my veggie cabbage a little differently and it turned out really well. This recipe makes about 16 rolls depending on how large or small you make them.
Hint: This recipe very much depends on the brand of veggie meat you choose. Some of them are very sticky and need no bread crumbs or egg. They just need the onions, pepper and water to loosen up the mixture. On the other hand, some of the brands are grainy and actually crumble. They need the egg and crumbs to tie them together. Both types of meat result in delicious Veggie Stuffed Cabbage. You just have to treat them differently.
Prep time: 30 minutes
Vegetarian Stuffed Cabbage
By December 18, 2013Published:
- 16 cabbage rolls
- 12 Ounces Veggie Meat
- 2 large Onions one minced; one sliced
- 1 Teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1/3 Cup Water Use more if necessary to loosen meat
- 1 large tomato cored and sliced
- 4-5 Ounce Non-Dairy Ginger Snaps
- 2/3 cup Dark Brown Sugar
- 1 large Lemon Juiced
- 3 Cups Veggie broth
- saucepan large enough to hold cabbage
- 13x9x2 baking dish
- Trim root end of cabbage and cut a large X in it. Pull off loose outside leaves. Place cabbage in saucepan and cover 3/4 of it water. Bring to a boil and boil about 20 minutes. Lift cabbage out of hot water and place in colander. Run cold water over it.to cool it off. Peel back as many leaves as you can. Return cabbage to water and boil again for about 15 minutes so you can peal back more leaves. Drain the leaves very well.
- Mix veggie meat, minced onion, pepper and water together. Shape lightly into logs and roll them in par boiled cabbage leaves.
- Scatter sliced onions and any leftover cabbage on bottom of baking dish. Arrange cabbage rolls on top. Place thinly sliced tomato on top of rolls.
- Mix veggie broth with ground cookies, brown sugar and lemon. Taste. Add more sugar or lemon if needed. Pour over cabbage rolls and place in preheated 375° F. oven.
- Bake cabbage rolls about 1-1/2 hours basting every 15 min. until they are browned and glazed. Serve hot.
- For freezing: Cool completely and divide into smaller pans depending on how many you need for each dinner. Be sure to label!