When in doubt about what to make for dessert, make an Apple Crisp! You can use any combination of fruit that you want and spice it as you wish. You can add flour to bind it or leave out the flour and have it juicier. Add oats or chopped nuts to make the topping crunchier or just make a simple brown sugar streusel. Make a large Apple Crisp and serve it at the table or make individuals and have one for each guest. This is a dessert that can be made with all fruit all through the year. In Fall and Winter, you can start with a base of apples and add frozen berries or any stone fruit if you wish. In Spring and Summer, you can use all fresh peaches, plums and berries. A crisp is definitely a dessert for all seasons!
Prep tome: 20 minutes
By February 21, 2014Published:
- 6-8 Servings
- 1 1/2 Cups Dark Brown Sugar
- 1 Cup Flour
- 12 Tablespoons Non-dairy Margarine/coconut spread
- 4 Pounds Tart Apples
- 1 cup blueberries optional
- 1 Large Lemon
- 1/2 Cup Sugar
- 1/2 Teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1/4 Teaspoon Nutmeg
- Electric Food Processor steel knife inserted
- large mixing bowl
- 6 Cup Baking Dish 8-12 ramekins depending on their size
- Streusel:: Place brown sugar and flour in bowl of processor. Pulse 45 seconds or until blended. Cut margarine into tablespoons and add to processor. Pulse until small clumps form. Set aside.
- Peel, core and quarter apples. Cut each quarter into thirds and then cut them into 1/2 inch pieces. Place in mixing bowl. Add berries if desired. If you want to add peaches or plums, reduce the amount of apples by the amount of stone fruit you are adding.
- Grate lemon directly over fruit. Squeeze lemon, remove pits and pour over fruit. Sprinkle sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg over fruit. (ginger is a good addition if you've added peaches). Mix well. Preheat oven to: 375° F.
- Spoon fruit into large oven to table dish or into individual ramekins. Cover fruit with streusal.
For large dish: place in oven and bake for 30-45 minutes or until you see fruit bubbling.
For ramekins: place ramekins on cookie sheet and place in oven. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until you see fruit bubbling. Serve warm or room temperature.
Optional: add a scoop of sorbet or non-dairy ice cream for a meat meal; ice cream for a dairy meal