Asparagus and Mushroom salad may sound basic; but it can be ramped up with the type of mushrooms you choose. For a casual meal, choose plain white button mushrooms; but for a celebration, choose fresh or reconstituted dry morels. They’re definitely pricey but sometimes the occasion warrants it!
Prep time- 45-60 minutes
Asparagus and Mushroom Salad
By August 1, 2014Published:
- 8 Servings
- 3 ounces dried morels or 35 fresh morels/10 ounces button mushrooms
- 1 pound green asparagus
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup Vegetable Broth
- Sea Salt and Freshly Ground Pepper to Taste
- 1 large Butter/Boston lettuce
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 medium skillet with cover
- 1 salad spinner
- 1 medium mixing bowl
- 1 sieve
- 1 small mixing bowl
- 1 whisk
- 1. Soak dried morels in boiling water for 30 minutes. Drain them in a sieve over a bowl to catch the mushroom essence that has formed. Rinse the mushrooms again to make sure there is no grit left in them and set aside. Strain the essence through cheese cloth, paper towel or a coffee filter and save for future use. This mushroom essence adds a great deal of flavor to soups, sauces and gravies. or
2. Rinse fresh morels thoroughly and remove all grit. Set aside. or
3. Wipe off button mushrooms and trim stems. Leave mushrooms whole if they are very small. Slice into 1/8th inch slices if they are medium/large.
- Snap off tough ends of asparagus and discard them. Rinse asparagus well and halve them lengthwise. Cut halves into one inch pieces. Set aside.
- Heat 4 tablespoons olive oil in skillet over medium high flame. Add morels and vegetable broth. Cover skillet and cook about five minutes. Add asparagus and cover again. Cook another 2-3 minutes or until asparagus are crisp tender and bright green, Remove from heat. Season the vegetables with a generous pinch of Sea Salt and a few turns of the pepper mill. Taste. Adjust seasoning.
- Tear lettuce into medium pieces and rinse well. Dry thoroughly in salad spinner.
- Whisk remaining olive oil and lemon juice together. Add a pinch of table salt and fresh pepper.
- To serve: Toss dried lettuce with dressing. Place a mound of lettuce on each salad plate. Add a portion of the mushroom-asparagus mixture on top. Serve at room temperature.