Boeuf Bourguignon- what red wine, vegetables,and herbs do to the humble beef cube is simply spectacular! And for your vegetarians- try this Tofu Bourguignon. They get all the flavors without the meat!
Hint: Make this recipe a day or two in advance. The flavors only get better!
By December 28, 2015Published:
- 8-10 Servings
- 3 hrs 15 mins
- 4 pounds chuck beef cut into one inch cubes
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 4 1/2 cups Dry Red Wine
- 2 cups fresh/boxed beef stock
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 large Garlic Cloves smashed
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Tomato Paste
- 1 teaspoon crushed thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon Crushed Marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds button mushrooms trimmed,wiped clean and quartered
- 4 tablespoons Vegetable Oil
- 1 pound fresh white pearl onions peeled (or 14 ounce bag frozen white pearl onions-defrosted)
- 1 herb bouquet 2 sprigs parsley, 1 bay leaf, 1/2 teaspoon thyme, 6 peppercorns tied up in cheesecloth
- 3 tablespoons Non-dairy Margarine
- 1 large roasting pan
- 1 large skillet with cover
- 1 10-12 inch Dutch oven
- 1 slotted spoon
- 1 medium mixing bowl
- 1 whisk
- Preheat oven to: 425° F.
Trim beef cubes and pat dry. Place beef cubes in a single layer in roasting pan. Sprinkle with 1 1/2 tablespoons flour. Place pan in oven for 10 minutes. Shake the pan vigorously, and sprinkle 1 1/2 teaspoons more flour over beef. Cook for eight minutes longer. Remove pan from oven. Reduce oven temperature to 325° F.
- Using a slotted spoon, removed browned beef cubes from pan and place them in Dutch oven. Reserve beef drippings.
- Pour 4 cups of wine over the beef. Add just enough beef broth to cover meat. Add bay leaves, garlic, tomato paste, crushed thyme, crushed marjoram and pepper to meat. Stir well. Bring mixture to a boil; reduce to a simmer, cover and place in lower level of the oven. Cook 2 1/2 -3 hours or until meat is very tender. Check casserole 2-3 times to be sure a simmer is being maintained. While the beef is braising, prepare mushrooms and onions.
- Mushrooms: Heat four tablespoons of oil over medium high heat. Add mushrooms. Toss quickly so that they brown lightly and don't release too much of their juices. Remove mushrooms from pan and set aside. If there is mushroom liquid in the pan, add it to the beef.
- Onions: Pour remaining 1/2 cup of wine, herb bouquet, and reserved beef drippings to skillet. Pour in defrosted onions and stir well. Bring to a simmer, cover skillet and cook for 20 minutes. Remove onions with slotted spoon and add to mushrooms.
- You have two choices when beef is done: 1. you can remove the beef and carefully pour off the fat and then continue with the recipe. 2. you can remove cooked beef from the gravy and chill several hours or overnight until the fat has congealed and you can just lift it off.
- Cream the remaining three tablespoons of margarine and flour. Bring gravy to a boil and the reduce it to a simmer. Whisk flour and margarine paste into the gravy. Stir briskly until sauce has slightly thickened. It should lightly cover a spoon. Return beef, mushrooms and onions to the gravy. Simmer until they are hot. Serve Boeuf Bourguignon with rice, quinoa or noodles. Enjoy!