Farro is a grain that is very healthy, easy to prepare and a wonderful base for this Farro Vegetable Salad. It has a chewy texture and a somewhat nutty taste. When you toss Farro (or any grain) with the dressing of your choice while it is still warm, the grain absorbs the flavors more fully. I often use Mustard Vinaigrette. Add an assortment of colorful vegetables and herbs after the Farro has cooled and you have a delicious side dish.
As with many recipes, my proportions and vegetable choices in this Farro Vegetable Salad should serve as a guide. Experimenting with different combinations is part of the fun of cooking. Try adding diced tofu to add some protein for vegans or vegetarians. Add diced feta or mozzarella if you want to make it dairy. There is no limit to what you can do. Enjoy!
Prep time: 30 minutes
Farro Vegetable Salad
By April 29, 2015Published:
- 10-12 Servings
- one 12 ounce package farro prepared according to package directions and drained
- 1/3 cup mustard vinaigrette
- 2 small red, yellow, orange peppers diced
- 1 bunch scallions(green and white parts) stemmed and sliced
- 10 ounces frozen peas defrosted
- 3/4 cup dried currants/ dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup pitted Kalamata Olives halved
- 1 small bunch Italian parsley 1/2 cup minced
- 1 small bunch dill 1/2 cup minced
- Salt and Freshly Ground Pepper to Taste
- medium pot with cover
- large mixing bowl
- Pour vinaigrette over drained warm farro and mix well. Taste. Season with salt and pepper. Add more dressing if needed. Cool completely.
- Add all remaining ingredients to farro. Toss together gently. Season again with salt and pepper. Spoon into a serving dish and serve at room temperature. If you are making this a day in advance, add the herbs on the day of serving.