What a delicious treat! Fried green tomatoes are a wonderful addition to any meal whether you’re serving fish, chicken or a vegetable medley. I like them with caper mayonnaise but cocktail sauce works as well.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Fried Green Tomatoes
By July 9, 2014Published:
- 6 Servings
- 2 large firm green tomatoes rinsed and cored
- 1 cup flour use gf flour if desired
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups Panko use gf breadcrumbs if desired
- 1 cup Vegetable Oil
- 3 shallow bowls
- medium skillet
- slotted spoon
- slotted spatula
- rack with waxed paper underneath
- Cut tomatoes into 1/3 inch slices. Set aside.
- Mix flour with salt and chili powder in bowl. Beat eggs in another bowl. Pour Panko in remaining bowl.
- Dredge tomatoes in flour, then in eggs and then in Panko. Chill for 30 minutes if you have the time. Otherwise, fry them immediately.
- Heat 1/2 cup oil in skillet over medium-high heat. Add three or four tomato slices at a time to hot oil. Make sure there is space between them. Fry about three minutes on each side or until they have browned. Remove errant crumbs with slotted spoon before adding more oil (if needed) and more tomatoes. Drain fried tomatoes on a rack with waxed paper underneath to catch the dripping oil. Serve hot or warm with Caper Mayonnaise.