This recipe takes Mac ‘N Cheese to a new level. Many years ago, when my children were still in school, we traveled to Paris for Winter vacation. Naturally, we visited the Louvre. After several hours of actually seeing the amazing art and sculpture that we had just read about; we had to feed the troops. A close friend of mine had recommended the charming Cafe Marly; which was very close to the Louvre. It was there, that we all first tasted Truffle Mac ‘N Cheese. There were even thin slices of black truffles in it. What a revelation! I made a mental note to recreate this dish at home and here it is.
- I recommend white cheddar cheese because I find it less oily when it melts and also easier to digest.
- Whole milk makes a creamier sauce; but you can certainly substitute 1% or 2 % milk if you prefer.
- With the cost of truffles in the stratosphere, I rarely add them to this recipe. I save that for a very special occasion.
Truffle Mac 'N Cheese
By January 20, 2016Published:
- 4-6 Servings
- 55 mins
- 1 pound macaroni noodles parboiled according to package directions and drained
- 1/4 pound Unsalted Butter 1 stick or 4 ounces
- 1/2 cup flour
- 4 cups whole milk 2% works but will be less creamy
- 1 tablespoon Dry Mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 3-4 drops black truffle oil
- 11-12 ounces white sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- 3/4 cup Panko
- 1 6 quart pot
- 1 colander
- 1 large skillet
- 1 whisk
- 1 13x9x2 oven to table baking dish sprayed or greased with oil/butter
- Preheat oven to: 375° F
- Mix flour with dry mustard and pepper. Set aside. Melt butter in skillet over low heat. Add flour mixture all at once and whisk briskly to form a paste. Add milk slowly, whisking gently, as you create a smooth white sauce. Remove from heat and stir in shredded cheese until it has completely melted.
- Add Truffle Oil. Stir well. Taste. Add more, drop by drop, until you're happy with the flavor. Spoon macaroni into prepared baking pan. Sprinkle Panko all over the top. Bake for 35-45 minutes or until the Panko has browned and the cheese in bubbling. Serve hot with a beautiful salad.