Leek and Potato soup is a carb lovers delight. It’s easy to make, creamy, without cream, with the subtle flavor of leeks. Serve with chopped chives and croutons.
Leek and Potato Soup
By January 8, 2014Published:
- 8 Servings
- 1 hr 30 mins
- 6 Large Leeks
- 4 Large Russet or Yukon Gold Potatoes
- 4 Tablespoons Vegetable Oil
- 10 Cups Fresh/boxed vegetable broth
- 4 Tablespoons Freshly Chopped Chives
- 3 quart Soup Pot With Cover
- Electric Food Processor chopping blade inserted
- Cut leeks in half lengthwise.Slice the pale green and white parts thinly. Place in colander and rinse thoroughly.
- Heat oil in soup pot over medium heat. Add leeks. Stir well. Cover the pot. Cook leeks until they are tender stirring occasionally. This will take about 20 minutes.
- Peel and dice potatoes while leeks are cooking. Add to cooked leeks and continue to cook about 15 minutes longer. Stir mixture regularly to be sure the vegetables don’t burn.
- Add nine cups of broth to pot. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer another 30-45 minutes. Cool slightly.
- Purée soup, two cups at a time, in processor. Return purée to soup pot. Add more broth if soup is too thick. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Scatter snipped chives over each serving. Serve hot with croutons.